Friday, September 26, 2008

Walker's First Day of Preschool



Even more scary than Avorie's first day of school is Walker's first day of school. I say that for a number of reasons, the first one being my second child is now old enough for school. Oh my! I really must be getting old. The second is, I'm not sure he's ready. Now, I'm not trying to be skeptical here, it's just, it's Walker. I'm used to Avorie and at 3 she could write her name, say the ABC's backwards (thanks to Dad), and she recognized all the letters and their sounds. Walker on the other hand just figured out his colors. Good job, buddy! Don't get me wrong, he can sing the alphabet, but he has absolutely no clue what letter is what, let alone what sound they make. Now I'm convinced it's a boy and girl thing. Girls, I think, are just more interested earlier than boys. However, I know they catch up sooner than later. We have been working on spelling his name, and he can now do it. Yeah!! Last, you all know him, let's be honest, he's crazy and can't sit still for two seconds. How is he ever going to sit in a chair for 2 hours? All I have to say is Naddi (Natalie Cole) is going to have her hands full. Good Luck! In the end, all that really matters is he is sooooo excited and that's the important thing! It is going to be so good for him.

It is has been a few weeks now since school started, and I'm going to have to eat my words! Walker has done great!!! He is actually a different kid! Now all he wants to do is color and learn. Every time I look at him he has a coloring book or a piece of paper and he is trying to write a "W" for Walker or color a shape. He is interested in big and little, alike and different, and he loves to practice cutting. (I need to be really careful with that one) I am so impressed! And the best part is, Naddi says he sits and listens really well, I also have seen a difference at home. What a dream come true! I am so glad he likes school and enjoys learning!

No comments: